Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Monday, August 04, 2008

When your child talks about the birthmother….

Presuming that you have been talking to your child about her adoption and birth mother, what happens when all of a sudden your child asks you a question about her birth mother out of a blue? Well…actually nothing happens. World is not crumbling under your feet so don't panic. This is what happened to our family today.

We were in the bed; I was with my computer and my wife with the kids. Older one was lying next to me (with her thumb in the mouth) and out of a blue made a statement “Daddy I am brown, probably my birth mom is brown”!!

“Probably honey, and you know something? She must be very pretty too, because you’re so pretty” said I.

“I know, I know” responded Lydia.

Then she wanted to know about my skin tone and compared it to my parents. We had a good laugh about Thatha’s dark skin (Dad’s dad) and learnt that it takes a Mom and a Dad to make a baby.

My wife and I decided to leave it there for now as she didn't ask any more questions. We know that she will have more questions and it is a joy for us to answer her questions.

Taking life one day at time.

No comments: