How do I obtain a birth certificate in India for my child?
I went to the Municipality/Corporation office (MO) yesterday and learnt the process of applying for birth certificate for adopted child. here's how it goes:
- Approach the MO and ask for a birth certificate (BC) form. You will get it free of cost.
- Fill up the form (single page).
- Fill the child's name and parents' name in the relevant sections.
- Fill no. of copies section as 1.
- Leave the Name of hospital (where born) as blank.
- Fill the section "Place of Birth" with the address of the orphanage from where you have adopted. Don't put the name of the orphanage but just the address.
- Submit the form along with a copy of adoption deed. Charges RS. 60/-
- The MO checks at the concerned address for the child availability. Since the child was not born there, it would issue a Non Availability Certificate (NAC)
- The municipality would ask you to collect the NAC on a due date.
- On the due date, collect the NAC and use the same to file a petition at the District Magistrate's office.
- Court will issue an order for the municipality to generate a birth certificate.
- Using that again apply at MO.
- MO will generate a birth certificate with the parents' name.
Above information is made available to you by the HOPE House - A registered charitable trust caring for orphan, semi-orphan and disadvantaged girls in Vellore, India. Click here to learn about how to support the HOPE House operations.