Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Teaching my daughter to play the game of Chess.

Recently my daughter had learnt about Chess through a classmate of hers who has won several prizes playing chess so she decided that she too will learnt to play Chess. After finding out that her daddy can play chess, decided to play chess every evening before going to bed.

Well….Daddy is no Bobby Fisher in playing chess but no beginner either. I thought to help my daughter to learn to play chess by allowing her to play the game. I explained the game to begin with and then started off. Knowing my daughter’s competitiveness, I decided to let her beat me and I would deliberately make moves to lose the game.

I can’t even describe the joy my daughter gets in cutting daddy’s coins off of the chessboard. With a big grin, pumps her hands up in the air and says, “Daddy, you know I can beat you now?” I respond “Yes baby, you’re getting very good” and give her high five’s.

After a few days of playing, I have realized that her moves are getting better and she is thinking at least two steps ahead now. I am hoping that by playing every day, her game improves and can become competitive. A lesson in short: Allowing your child to win at your expense for now will enable your child to win in life later.

Ruby

No comments: