Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Adoption Q and A # 29 (Where is my order)

I am single and person of India origin. I live in the US. Recently I saw on your blog you mentioned the order of placing children in adoption and I didn't see anything for singles and I am wondering if India allows it? Will applying for OCI help?

Order of placement was mentioned on our blog on September 25th [click here]. As you have pointed out correctly, single parents status is not mentioned.

For the purpose of adoption, single parents should not look at themselves as single just because they do not have a spouse. They should look at themselves as a unit of family as they intend to give an environment of a family. If you look at it from this perspective, you fit into a category of NRI family.

About India allowing single parents to adopt from India, I do not know an exact answer but I have a gut feeling about it. India as a country allows single parent adoptions. Logical reasoning tell me that they will but I am not absolutely certain on this. You can talk to the adoption agencies to see what their take on this issue is??

About applying for OCI card, Yes, you should apply for it as it has some operational advantages for NRI's. Please bear in mind that OCI's pay the same fee as the other parents do but it only helps to alleviate operational inconveniences. It only costs about one time fee of 275 dollars.

RN

1 comment:

Sumanta said...

Few Indian agencies do allow single parent to adopt and some of them even have a preference towards that. I have heard about agencies in Pune who are open to this giving children to single parents.