Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

‘Earth Hour’ in my house

I didn’t realize that my kids are into observing the ‘Earth Hour’ (‘Earth Hour’ refers to shutting off lights for an hour from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM on March 27th) but at about 8:35 PM last night my wife reminded the kids about it and that’s when I knew it.

I am just not into these kinds of things that just come and go (events) but I thought that it is not a bad idea to make use of the event to teach something valuable to my girls. When my wife reminded the kids, I was on my laptop doing some important work and dad was trying to take his evening medicines.

Without any notice to anyone in the house, kids went around switching off the lights. They were so enthusiastic that I didn’t want to disappoint them. So I agreed, took the chairs, candle lights and flash light before the house plunged into darkness. We sat outside the house for an hour with kids running around with a flash light.

Girls wanted to hear stories so we had story-telling time. My older one – Lydia is so excited that she want to carry the message to her school on Monday to update on it to her teacher and we too encouraged her to do it.

Girls want to observe the ‘Earth Day’ every day and that’s when I decided to talk about the importance of the ‘Earth Hour’ to them. Briefly I talked to them and from here on out I know that I can talk to them about the environmental protection that they can engage in on a daily basis.

Kids can be taught to stay engaged to protect the environment by doing things like saving water, planting trees, and caring for plants etc. Things that they don’t learn as children not expected to be practiced when they become adults.

No comments: