Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Chapatis Tonight !

Tonight we are having a feast of sorts. There is a Korean lady at our church who has really been missing Korean food and we got to talking and decided to have a meal tonight and eat Korean food.

I have been wanting to try more Korean food for some time as we did a study of S. Korea this year in school. Well, we went a step further and she invited some Chinese college students who “know how to cook” in her words. I was really getting hungry now and I thought to ask her if I could bring include some Indian food in this Asian feast. She said YES, to be creative. So I am making Chicken Curry and also I am trying to make Chapatis for the first time. I usually do my version of Naan, but last time we were in an Indian grocery I saw a bag of Chapati Flour so I picked it up thinking to try it soon. Well, this is my chance. I am posting the recipe I just found online. I hope it turns out well, it has a rating of 4 ½ stars! Here it is in case you want to try it too:
P.S. There was a comment on the site not to roll these as thin as the recipe suggests, so I think I will go a bit thicker when I make these. And I am just using the Chapati Flour instead of what is listed here for flour, hope this makes sense.


INDIAN CHAPATI BREAD
"A simple but delicious recipe for Indian flatbread. Serve with Indian curry, main dishes, or even use to make sandwich wraps. Enjoy!"

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 15 Min
READY IN 30 Min

INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3/4 cup hot water or as needed
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the olive oil and enough water to make a soft dough that is elastic but not sticky. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth. Divide into 10 parts, or less if you want bigger breads. Roll each piece into a ball. Let rest for a few minutes.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot, and grease lightly. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the balls of dough until very thin like a tortilla. When the pan starts smoking, put a chapati on it. Cook until the underside has brown spots, about 30 seconds, then flip and cook on the other side. Continue with remaining dough.


No comments: