Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

More on Lifebooks

I am piggy backing on the last post, but making a life book for our child has been on my mind lately. I have a box filled with stuff that can go in it, but just haven’t really had the time to do it. Recently, I have heard the opinion that the best time to make one is when your child is old enough to help with it, so the child feels more ownership. Has anyone done this and have other opinions to share?



I feel there are parts of the lifebook which can portray your life before your child entered the home that could be done without their input, like what life was like here before they came home, how we endured the waiting, and what life was like for us when the new child first came home up to when the child could express their part of the story. Also what could be included would be any info obtained from our child’s documents and from the orphanage.
Should there be two parts or two separate books? I never thought this would be so confusing. Another suggestion I heard was that one book be simple, with just pictures and captions when the child is younger. I guess you would then do a second book with more detail and let the child help out? Any ideas from those who have older kids home, for the best way to approach this, would be appreciated.


No comments: