Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Misconception of inter-country adoption.

On Saturday I was attending a seminar in our town and I reached there before the scheduled time and I was chatting with a lady I came know through another acquaintance. Somehow we began talking about the HOPE House and adoptions. We also talked about how we desire to promote the message of adoption.

I did mention how disappointing it is to see adoptions cost so much money. She replied and said “oh yeah they are stealing children to place them for adoption and the children are being adopted by foreigners to use the kids as servants in their homes”. I couldn’t have disagreed with her more.

She is not the first one I heard have similar kind of misconceptions. I have personally witnessed scores of families in the US adopt children from India and not a single family that I had seen doing this. It is plain wrong. Families spend anywhere between 15000 to 20000 dollars to adopt a child from India to the US and why would anyone want to spend such kind of money for a servant maid? It is illogical.

Obviously she has heard or read such kind of stories somewhere and there may be some who may be doing it but to generalize it to all the families is unfair. There are loving families nurturing young children out there and for anyone to describe (inter-country adoption) in such an inhumane way is a disservice to the concept of adoption. She could have very well asked me as a question and I would have explained but rather she made it as a statement.

Do you have misconception about adoption? Why not ask? Do you have a comment on this topic? Write in the comments section below.

Like reading our posts on this blog? Why not subscribe to our blogfeed and receive it in the inbox of your email?

Ruby

1 comment:

Kristi W. said...

I never realized that people in India might think this! That would explain why we received so many strange looks and sometimes glares while in India receiving our daughter. Most people we met were nice and asked us why we adopted. But there were many people who looked at us like we were out of our minds. :)