Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Salaam Bombay (DVD)

When I was in New Delhi to attend the CARA conference, I took a day out to visit Salaam Balak Trust, an NGO that rehabilitates street kids. So many times I have street kids but never interacted with one like I did that day with Mr. Shekar. He ran away from Bihar to get away from pressures of school and home. Before he knew, he was doing things he shouldn't be doing.

Thanks to Salaam Balak Trust, that had talked him out to come to go to school. Today he is a very ambitious young man with lot of dreams. He wants to be an actor someday.

Salaam Balak Trust was started by a movie director named Ms. Mira Nair. who made a movie titled "Salaam Bombay" on the life of a street child in Bombay slums. This movie went on to win lot of recognition and the proceeds were used to start Salaam Balak Trust.

I went into amazon.com to see what reviews it got and I am not surprised at what the reviews had to say. I don't want to give away the punchline but I'll say this: 19 out of 21 gave it a five star rating while 2 out of 21 gave it a four star rating with an average rating of five stars.



Used DVD's are available for as little as $6.68/- and the new one's are for $12.99/-. I didn't watch the movie but being there at Salaam Balak Trust in New Delhi gave me an insight into what that movie might be.

Ruby Nakka

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched this movie last week (bought the DVD at Landmark for Rs.300). It has been shot very well and very realistically. I gained a new perspective and it touched me deeply.

Saraswathi