Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Adoption Q and A # 28 (Do we have to be together?)

We live in India but my husband and I work in two different locations. I am hoping to be transferred to where my husband is working in a year or two. Can/ Should I start the adoption process now? Would you suggest that I quit my job to be with my husband?

To start and complete the adoption process, it is not required that you have to live in the same location but have to be together in your decision making and execution. If your job separates you and your spouse, it cannot be a barrier to start your adoption process. There are situations in the process (such as home study) where you both have to be present together but the rest of the process can be done with you both being at two different locations.

Please don't quit your job thinking that adoption process cannot be started without being together. In fact that in itself can work against you because on the application, you'll have to write as "unemployed" if you're not working. Your family income also will be shown lower than what it is now.

Saying what I've said now, you do have to start making plans about what to do when your child arrives home. Either have your job transferred to your husband place or if that's not a possibility, you can quit your job then if your family can survive on one income. It's a personal choice only the family can make.

If it helps, disclose it on your initial application itself about your employment status so that there will not be any kind of confusion in the future with anyone.

RN

No comments: