Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Why is adoption a sensitive issue?

Recently I was talking to an organization that has more than 35 years of work behind them in India to see if the HOPE House could organize a free adoption seminar in their city and could use their facility for the same, the response was Luke-warm and the reason for it was "Adoption is a sensitive issue"

Last week, when I was talking to an employee of a child rights organization of India on the issue of adoption tax credit, somewhere out of a blue came a statement "Adoption is a sensitive issue". Now I am beginning to wonder what is so sensitive about adoption and for whom?

I am acutely aware of adoptions that are done on fraudulent means and I extend my whole hearted support to deal with them to the full extent of the law. Illegal adoptions must be stopped at any cost. Unfortunately the "commodity" (for a lack of a better word) that is traded in the business of adoption does look like you and I in more ways than one but doesn't have much of a voice and cannot defend themselves like you and I.

Precisely it is this reason that people see adoption in India as sensitive. But is it? If one does everything that the law permits in the field of adoption, is there a need to look at the field of adoption as sensitive? I do understand the need for being careful but not sensitive. Many child focused organizations and it's employees in India seems to be living in the grip of paranoia to deal with one of the most effective concepts to rehabilitate an orphan child. It is unfortunate that for some one's fear, a child has to be denied a loving home.

Every time I tell someone that I had relocated from the United States and promote the message of adoption in India, I see a scroll on their forehead screaming loudly $$$$$$. I do not have time to spare for such people until and unless they care enough to ask. We have activists against those that break adoption laws but do we have any activists to promote the compliance of adoption laws? If not, why not? May be afraid to speak up under the guise of "Sensitive issue"!!

Speaking of fear reminds me of a famous quote of an American President Franklin D. Roosevelt who once said in 1933, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". With this quote, I want to leave it to you to make a choice of your voice.

No comments: