Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Awesome dad

I am the mother of two sons. They were born in Kolkata 18 and 14 years ago. My elder son graduated from high school in May. On the night of his graduation commencement, he was allowed to select a restaurant to celebrate. He chose Sitar, a local Indian restaurant--a favourite of both sons. He invited the relatives that had attended the commencement ceremonies.

While I was growing up, my father was not a particularly adventurous eater. He preferred the dishes he had grown up with--the vegetables he grew, prepared the way his mother had prepared them. Because of this and the late hour, I really did not expect him to accept the invitation, but he did!

He didn't stop there, though. He selected from the menu, with no input from anyone else, my younger son's all-time-favorite sag dish. Not only that, but he loved it!

His presence on this special day for my elder son was a blessing, as was his sharing the tastes of my younger son. Over the years, I have heard that there are parents who do not support their children when they adopt. Both my parents AND my husband's parents were behind us, supporting us, and loving our children all the way.

Elisabeth

No comments: