Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Producing infertility certificate for adoption (Q and A)

I am infertile and I am being told by my adoption agency that I need an infertility certificate to pursue adoption. Is this correct? Please help.

If your adoption agency is asking you for an 'Infertility Certificate', then it is doing something beyond what is CARA requiring as 'Documents' from an adoption agency.

You can follow this link to see the documents required by CARA from EFAA:

Clause (a) of sub-section 6 of section 41 of JJ act says this: The court may allow a child to be given in adoption to a person irrespective of marital status or;

I read the above section of the law when it talks about the marital status as "married", "Single" and "Divorcees". My argument is that if the law is as liberal as it is to give a child for adoption to a single person, then why is it a big deal to give to infertile person? Does it really matter? More over it is not even required by CARA.

Even if it is (infertility) mentioned in the home study, it need not be substantiated because it is a statement made to express the reason for adoption. It must end there without further probing.

No comments: