Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Half Sarees

I received a Christmas picture of the child my family and I sponsor in India. She had on a different kind of outfit than I had seen her wear in the past, so I decided to find out more about it.

As she is growing into a young lady she now gets to wear an outfit called a half Saree. As I did some research I found that this type of outfit is worn by girls who are not quite adults yet, but are not too far from becoming one, in other words, around the teen years. It consists of a skirt, which is not as full as a Saree but only wraps around the waist once. There is a scarf that tucks in at one side of the waist and then wraps around and up over the shoulder and back down again, it crisscrosses in the front. She also wears a short top under the scarf wrap.

This outfit helps the young girl to practice the feel of a Saree so that when she is older she will be able to sport a full Saree in confidence. As I was searching the net for more pictures of these, I found they come in many different beautiful colors just as the full Sarees do, they can either be sort of plain or very fancy with decorations. Of course our sponsored child is just beautiful in hers!

Here is link to a picture of one I found , on a site that sells these half Sarees:

http://indianclothing.in/traditional-saree/half-davani-saree/c-2-758-695.html

No comments: