Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Monday, June 22, 2009

It is we who are the lucky ones

During our trip to India, while I was in the Business Center of our hotel in Delhi, the lady who was making copies for me noticed our son's name on his passport, and we began a conversation about when, where, why and all of that. The gentleman watching the door was listening in and came over to me and thanked me for adopting one of India's children...

He said something to the affect of "God bless the good people of the world like you." And while I know his words were sincere, I didn't really know how to feel about such a statement of which we are surely not worthy. If anything Leslie and I strongly feel that we are the lucky ones to have been allowed the opportunity to find Manu, and any noble intent would be second or third to our simple desire to have a baby. However, after visiting India and the Children's Home in Bangalore, we are happy now that we were able to do our very small part to help a very large problem. I don't think anyone can grasp truly the enormity of the situation there until you see it for yourself. But at the same time, Manu filled a very big hole that was in our hearts. India did more for us than we did for India.

No comments: