Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Meet my biology teacher

I wanted to do some work in my garden so I went tilling the ground around the small plants. I could tell that it has been while since I had been seen my plants and lot of weeds have grown around them.

As I went tilling, I found an earthworm. I knew my older girl Lydia love to see it so I called for her. She was so excited to see this creature for the first time and wanted to know what it does. “Oh well honey….umm….yeah….yeah….it does…..” It didn’t take long to realize that it was a mistake to call her.

I remembered studying about earthworm in 11th and 12 th grade and I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biology. I got to know this. That was embarrassing. If you’re wondering if my age is catching up with me, you’re not being nice. I had to make up something so I said “well…earthworms tills the ground to keep it lose so that the plants can get water down to its roots”. “Daddy, you’re so good” said Lydia. I could see from the side of my eye that she is thinking something more.

She ran inside and brought a small earthen pot and packaged seeds. “Daddy I need to do a project and I have to grow plants in this pot”. We both of us enjoyed putting lose earth, seeds and watering it. Then she sat next to me and went on to explain all that she had learnt in school about plants. She brought her science book and started to read about different kinds of plants. She taught me the uses of banyan trees (people and monkeys can swing on their branches), banana leaves (to serve food in the restaurants) and fruit trees.

It was a treat to listen to our young biology teacher at home and she certainly made up for daddy’s goof up with the earthworm.

Ruby

No comments: