Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Who needs whom?

As we started our quest to adopt our third child, we have been talking a lot about the child to come. I am outnumbered 3 to 1 in favor of a girl child. As we live in the state of Tamilnadu, I talked to the adoption professional of Tamilnadu about our family’s desire and what I heard in reply is what caught my attention.

I was told that my family might not be considered because we already have adopted two children and the preference is given to other families in waiting. Intent of such an argument is understandable but the point in question is this: “Adoption is done in whose best interest”? Is adoption is to find children for families or families for children?

Using above reasoning to reject my family seem to suggest that adoption professionals are more interested to find children for families than families for children. If someone tells me that there are more number of people before me and I have to wait is understandable but to suggest that even those who come after me could be considered for the fact that they have no children is contrary to the practice of in the best of the child.

I strongly feel that adoption professional in reference is ignorant of the concept of “best interests of the child” and to bridge this gap, they must be mandated to have certain number of hours of continuing education units to have their agency license issued/ renewed so that they understand the intricacies of adoption being in the best interests of the child. Continuing education could consist of understanding the roles of Juvenile & Justice Act, United Nations Convention on the Right of the Child, and National Commission on Protection of Child Rights etc.

It is time that we have informed and competent professionals work in the field of adoption in India.

No comments: