Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Divorce in an adoptive family

In any so called "modern" society, divorce is considered as a "right". Adoptive families go to extraordinary lengths to make a commitment to adopt a child. Their commitment also displays the strength of their relationship. But then why such couples end up in divorce?

All things being equal, is the divorce in an adoptive family same as the biological family? Personally I think that adoptive families that end up in divorce are being extremely selfish without considering the trauma to the child who was already traumatized once by being an orphan.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments section.

1 comment:

Mary said...

As a single parent I don't know if I should comment on this subject, but as a teacher, I think I can.

Yes, our children have been traumatized by their birthparents. Yes, divorce is hard on everyone. My thoughts would be that if two people are unhappy with each other and cannot get along, is that good for any child? I don't think so.

Many times divorce is the correct step for everyone.

Mary