Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Reasons for the adoption tax credit

Adoption discussion # 7

Three days ago I met an employee of a reputed child rights organization of India at a meeting and I casually mentioned about my efforts to promote the adoption tax credit.

She asked me a question that kinda made me think if my argument for adoption tax credit has any strength? This is what she said: "If people are willing to pay thousands of rupees to have a cesarian section to have a baby, why not to pay to adopt a child"?

I know that each one of our children are unique yet different. Biological children and adoptive children are not the same. You have issues that you may have to live with for the rest of your life in an adoption. Tax credit is advocated not only in the best interest of an adoptive family but mostly in the interest of an adoptive child. I am determined to work till the end on this issue, but do you have a thought or two to spare on this? I would love to hear your thoughts. Write in the comments section below.

No comments: