Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Adoption Q and A # 6

Recently I had watched on a national english television channel in India praising an unmarried woman for taking an abandoned child and caring for the same as if her own. I am confused. Is it correct?

Brilliant question. Any abandoned child must be reported to the nearest police station and FIR (first information report) must be filed first. After that, police with the coordination of the district officials(child welfare or social welfare) will place the child in an adoption agency to find the biological parents to see if anyone is looking for this child. Agency has to publicise in the newspaper (about the child being in their agency) three different times and wait for approximately 90 days. After this duration, agency will take the child to the magistrate to present him the facts to declare the child eligible for adoption. Only when the magistrate declares, the child can be placed in adoption.

There are instances where the district officials have been considerate and flexible enough to allow individuals to keep the children but only after the due process is completed.

[Click here] to read more adotion Q and A. Have a question? [Click here] to write to us.

No comments: