Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Adoption Q and A # 19

I am an American citizen. I live in India now and adopted a child here. Is it possible to obtain an American citizenship for my child?

YES. Foreign children adopted overseas by U.S. citizens may gain U.S. citizenship automatically upon entry in the United States if the child meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. Alternatively, the adoptive parents may apply for the child’s naturalization after they return to the United States.

In most cases, the adoptive parents would merely apply for a Certificate of Citizenship from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) after the adoption. However, until they return to the United States, the adopted child remains a national of their country of origin. Before returning to live permanently in the United States with your adopted child, you will need to petition the USCIS for your child’s immigrant visa.

No comments: