Do you know this?

There are approximately 18000 parents registered with CARA, while the number of children in the Government's adoption pool is less 1800.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Adoption Q and A # 11

I live in the United States of America (Caucasian) and adopted a child from India. I am a single mother. I want to apply for the Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card but my child is a minor and I am not eligible to apply along with my child as a co-applicant. How do I apply?

Although I confess that I didn't know an answer to this question, I was determined to find one. So I called up the ministry of home affairs and talked to a gentleman who is in charge of OCI. He said that in a situation like this, child of India origin has to wait till he/she turns 18 years. Reason? As you correctly said in your question, you're ineligible to be a co-applicant and your child cannot apply as a minor.

[Click here] to read more adoption Q and A. Have a question? [Click here] to write to us.

No comments: